Tanuki Vintage Japanese Pottery Raccoon Dog Good Luck Promissory Note Saki Jug
Tanuki are known in Japanese folklore as mystical shape-shifting spirits... raccoon, dog, badger, and fox-like composites. Once portrayed as frightening, they have more recently become benevolent figures bringing good luck and prosperity.
- This tanuki is glazed pottery.
- Numbered on bottom of promissory note: first 2 numbers are worn at top - might be 18, followed by 4224.
- He measures 6-1/2" x 4-3/8".
- Excellent condition... no chips, cracks, or repairs.
- Purchased with a collection of tanukis from an estate sale.
Tanuki are said to have 8 special features that bring good luck:
- The large hat protects against trouble or bad weather.
- The large eyes perceive his surroundings and help make good decisions.
- The sake bottle symbolizes virtue.
- The big tail provides steadiness.
- The large scrotum represents financial luck.
- The promissory note shows trust.
- The big belly symbolizes decisiveness.
- And he also has a friendly smile.
" Shipping -Will Ship United States Lower 48 States Only
Go to top of page I
Site Map I
Item index I
Will sell United States Only- Will Ship United States Lower 48 States Only
NO International sales- NO International Shipping